Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Bonne Annivairsaire, La Bolduc

by jgr80

Today is the birthday of Mary Travers, La Bolduc's. She would be 114 years old. I know of La Bolduc from this:


This was always one of my favorite Heritage Moments because I noticed she sings over an Irish pipe tune.

The gal had no formal musical training. She got the tunes from her dad who taught her the instruments he knew how to play by ear. She could never read music.

Despite my fondness of the vignette, there are quite a few gaping holes in this heritage minute. The song in the video was from her 3rd recording. By then, Mr. Beaudry already knew her despite the surprise on his face.

Her first two recordings flopped. Then a 3rd recording, which had "La Cuisiniere" as the main song, changed everything. It was released for the Christmas shopping season, and before the holidays were over, she was a household name in Quebec. In the middle of the depression, on her first tour, she earned $2000.

In 1994, she was honored with a stamp by Canada Post. My first "when-I-was-your-age" moment... Stamps were 43 cents back in 1994?!




These commercials were dangerous. I remember sitting in front of that TV for hours waiting for them to come on during The Racoons...


In stead of sitting in front of the TV, I shoulda been out in the driveway practicing my slapshot...


Hmm... all this talk about what I was watching when I was a kid and I still haven't said anything about the greatest ongoing television commercial theme song ever... the Hinterland Who's Who...


Sssssplendid

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

123 said...

Therefore, some day we'd say no cost from doubt that every little thing is all proper for me besides Links Of London jewelry friendship bracelet. Exchange back links with internet websites that are complimentary to yours.What sorts of internet websites will should I be exchanging back links with?